Bebop Spoken There
“Most trumpet players really like attention. I mean that they like to play high, they like to play fast…and they're the best dressers, usually.” - Ambrose Akinmusire (Jazzwise April 2011).
“I don't even remember learning to read music. I could always do it.” - Henry Lowther (Jazzwise July 2011).
June 23 Ray Chester Tribute Concert.
As most of you already know, sadly, Ray passed away in January this year and as a mark of respect and celebration of his music, the band has agreed to perform one final concert with all proceeds going to St Benedict’s Hospice (Monkwearmouth). It is probably, most fitting that this “Tribute Concert” will be at the Customs House, South Shields where Ray has appeared every year since 2007. A memorable and emotional night truly awaits the band’s last captive audience. The event is being recorded and modestly priced copies can be ordered on the night. Tickets available from the Customs House – 0191 4541234 or www.customshouse.co.uk
More info from the Ray Chester website.
TODAY TUESDAY JUNE 18
Saturday, July 21, 2012
More on the Magnolia Club
Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.
- ► 2013 ( 531 )
- Leeds Update
- CD Review: Funkengruven - The Joy of Driving a B3 ...
- Ray Dales w. The Jeremy McMurray Trio @ The Cherry...
- R.I.P. Don Bagley.
- Sophie Milman - My Heart Belongs To Daddy
- Claire Kelly @ The Jazz Café - Newcastle. Saturday...
- Tubby Hayes meets Sal Nistico
- CD Review: Ellington Saxophone Encounters. Mark Ma...
- A memory from the '80s
- The Honey Bop Trio @ Hoochie Coochie
- A Ship Without a Sail by Gary Marmorstein
- Sneak peek of a school visit at the PizzaExpress j...
- CD Review ‘METROPOLIS’ Peter Cincotti
- Record Review from December 22, 1939 Jazz Informat...
- A Very Long Splinter @ The Bridge Hotel. Sunday Ju...
- Montreux Jazz Festival 2012. Triple Bill July 11.
- Wanda Jackson at the Sage Summertyne Americana Fes...
- Doctor John and the Lower 911 @ The Sage Americana...
- Lover Man by Keith Armstrong
- The Puppini Sisters @ The Americana Festival, The ...
- Jenny O - The Sage Summertyne Americana Festival.
- The Sage Outdoor Stage @ the Summertyne Americana ...
- More on the Magnolia Club
- John Hiatt & The Combo - Americana Festival, The S...
- Pete Molinari, The Sage Summertyne Americana Festi...
- BBC Under Fire in York.
- The Funkalleros @ Hoochie Coochie
- When did the Magnolia Club blossom?
- Anna Luca and her band, Library Theatre, South Shi...
- "...and you Shake(speare) it all about"
- Power Cats Organ Trio @ The Cluny. Tuesday July 17...
- GFA to Honour Maurice Summerfield
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen Going West
- CD Review: Hannabiell and Midnight Blue. With Us.
- Carrying Cole To Newcastle - Daryl Sherman @ The S...
- Alter Ego @ The Bridge Hotel. Sunday July 15.
- ACV and Zoe at Swanage Jazz Festival.
- Hannabiell and Midnight Blue @ Hoochie Coochie
- Pete Gilligan Trio @ Jazz Café
- Of Mice and Jazzmen. July 14, 2012
- The end of Jazz North East as-we-have-known-it?
- WIN TICKETS FOR - The remarkable new musical Jazz ...
- Mike Durham update on Daryl Sherman - only 3 days ...
- Clark Terry Donations
- Greg Abate/Alan Barnes w. Stu Collingwood Trio @ C...
- CD Review: Anna Estrada - Volanda.
- Help – I can’t get to the Daryl Sherman gig – she ...
- Remembering Eric. The Jazz Esquires @ The Porthole...
- International Jazz Talent To Perform South Shields...
- Two Mighty Gigs in Store
- RIP Lol Coxhill
- CD Review - “Benoit Viellefon Hot Club live at the...
- Art Pepper: Tastes from the Widow's kitchen
- The Bridges Festival 2012 Jazz Boat: West Jesmond ...
- Welcome aboard Desmond.
- "The Pope's" Birthday.
- CD Review: Joe Jackson - Duke.
- CD Review: Sleepers - Keith Jarrett.
- Manchester Jazz Festival News
- Czech These Sites Out.
- Peter Fielding Lives with Little Lady Make Believe...
- Jesus just left Chicago headed down Ouseburn way....
- Mark Williams Trio w. Zoe Gilby. Bridge Hotel, New...
- Great Website For Django Fans
- From the archives
- CD Review: Træben - Push.
- Bradley Wiggins in Yellow
- The Golden Highway - The Grand Union Orchestra
- Caption wanted.
- Djangologie @ Ashington Jazz Club. July 4
- Rendezvous with Our Man in Hong Kong in North Shie...
- Relaxin’ at Blaydon Jazz Club with James Birkett/G...
- Hoochie Coochie Jam Session
- JAZZ UNITES THE HOUSE AS YAMAHA HONOUR 2012 JAZZ S...
- Ray Chester Concert Cancelled at Customs House
- Clark Terry
- Happy Birthday to Steve Andrews.
- RIP Fritz Pauer
- New track: The Narrators - The Statement.
- Bulletin From Blaydon
- Ruth Lambert w. Stu Collingwood Trio @ The Cherry ...
- Guisborough Big Band SATNAV Concert this Friday
- Paul Edis Trio w. Roly Veitch @ Bridge Hotel.
- Paul Edis Plays Bill Evans/Roly Veitch Plays Jim H...
- CD Review: Idle Words - You Are The Song
- The Jive Aces "Bring Me Sunshine"
- ▼ July ( 88 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.